Monday, December 21, 2015

Advent Quilt in Progress

Hey, Friends! As you know, I spend time designing quilts (my job and my delight).

I've been involved in a group where we are not only reading but writing (copying) the prophecies and the story of the birth of Christ.  This has sent me into creative nirvana...and has evolved into a story quilt - an advent story quilt. I've designed and made 11 blocks. I'll put it on the quilting machine tomorrow. I might take 3-4 days because I plan to custom quilt it. I'll show updates as I progress! How perfect to be quilting it the very week of Christmas?



11 blocks...so let me explain:
Top Row: The Prophecy (Old Testament readings)
Left: The Jesse Tree.---I'm a family genealogist, (right, family?) and the concept and reality of family and heritage meets me where I am. I HAD to do this one.
Middle: The Banner.---A root of Jesse who shall stand as a banner to the people; for the Gentiles shall seek him. That is me...I'm a Gentile and I seek him.
Right: Butter & Honey. ---"A virgin shall conceive and bear a son & Shall call his name Immanuel. Butter and honey shall he eat." Isaiah 7:  14-16.   My modern block is my take on butter & honey.
2nd row: (New Testament readings)
Left: Mary & Elizabeth. Don't you think that shared pregnancies are a special bond? Mary traveling 100+ miles to stay with Elizabeth? Sharing those months together carrying babies who would change the world? For me, it's not only "Mary did you know?" but Elizabeth, did you know, too? The joy and the preparation and the joy! Oh, the joy of a baby! And, these babies? I cannot imagine!
Far Right: Nazareth Gate: To leave Nazareth they entered and exited a gate. I imagine it looked like this one. If you look up "flag of Nazareth" you'll see something similar. Mary left Nazareth to see Elizabeth months later, she returned home. I bet she was ready and when she saw the gate she thought "Home! Almost there!" Joseph left Nazareth with Mary to go to Bethlehem. If Joseph was anything like my husband he was soon ready to go home to Nazareth. But, as is often the case in life, the way home is the longest part of any trip. Alas, can you imagine the joy when they saw it again? That gate! Home!
3rd Row:
Left: The Roads they Traveled. That brown strip will be quilted to show pebbles and represents the road they travelled. - and I imagine Mary going 80+ miles to see Elizabeth and then Mary and Joseph walking 80+ miles to Bethlehem, to Jerusalem, to Egypt and finally home. Like life, we walk and journey and change paths, and go in unexpected directions all in an effort to finally reach Home.
Right: A Manger. A modern depiction of a manger. Such a humble beginning.
4th Row:
Left: Shepherds Hook: As prophesied, the shepherds saw and responded. I love that they responded...
Middle: Angels of God - in all aspects of the prophecies and the story. I believe.
Right: Gold, Frankincense & Myrrh. Frankincense, in it's natural state is a soft off-white color with a touch of yellow. Myrrh has more of a brownish tint.
CENTER: The Star. Star Light. Star Bright. It's HIM!
Background color: Dark Cerulean. I chose it because this is a night time story. Important things happened at night. Looking for a place to stay/sleep... the birth of Jesus, Magi following the star, Angels appearing, shepherds tending flocks by night, etc. And the darkness of the times. A king who would kill all little boys under the age of 2? OMGosh - that is evil! That is darkness! Mary and Joseph as refugees in Egypt? Yep. Darkness and evil was alive and active. Just like now. Just. Like. Now. And, we have the Light at the Center. That light saves us.
So, dear friends....are you still with me? Thanks for letting me share! I promise to keep you posted as I progress with the quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment